[meteorite-list] NWA 2965 EL3 High Magnification Micrographs

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:56:19 EDT

Hi List, I just spent the last couple days tearing down my Xpol scope. I
changed some key components and took it up a notch.

Good timing, Jeff Hodges had some NWA 2965 EL3 (you know, the fossil
meteorite that was generating so many postings) thin sections made that were
polished to 1/4 micron on both sides!

I send a couple batches of micrographs to Paul (Meteorite Times). He hosts
my Gallery which is a lot of work. It may be several days before they are up
so if you want to see some right away, just send me an email.

These sets are taken in cross polarized light at magnifications of 700X and
1140X. The results are cool. This meteorite has such a fine grain the more
usual low magnification shots don't show much. At a magnification of 1140X
an individual grain dominates the image and the effect is quite nice.

My Gallery is at http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/ Please take a
look if you haven't yet.

Tom Phillips STARSINTHEDIRT