[meteorite-list] Beware of Russians bearing Seimchan

From: meteor a <comet1995-2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:34:45 -0600

Magadan news say that really at night 6/7 of June from the regional museum a piece of Seymchan meteorite was stolen. It was 7255 grams. There is criminal investigation now.
They say that it could be after a TV program with stupid words about very high prices for the meteorites on "black market"... no comments...
Serge

From: comet1995-2 at hotmail.comTo: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.comDate: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:41:51 -0600Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Beware of Russians bearing Seimchan

Very strange that it is a new from Bulgarian site. Nothing from Russian side - I just searched the net.If I'll find some details I'll try to forward them to all.All the best,Serge

> From: cynapse at charter.net> To: Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:08:30 -0400> Subject: [meteorite-list] Beware of Russians bearing Seimchan> > http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=81664> > > Chunk of Meteorite Stolen from Russian Museum> > > 9 June 2007, Saturday> > A chunk of a meteorite weighing over 7 kilograms has been stolen from a museum> in the remote Magadan Region in Russia's Far East on Saturday.> > A local Interior Ministry spokesperson explained the thieves broke into a> history museum in the village of Seimchan at night and stole a part of the> meteorite named after the residential place. > > It is supposed that the offenders have been inspired by a recent TV program,> which discussed the high value of meteorite pieces on Russia's black market.> > The Seimchan meteorite was found in 1967 near the Seimchan gold mine in the> Magadan Region.> > The local police authorities are still investigating the case.> ______________________________________________> Mete

Make every IM count. Download Windows Live Messenger and join the i?m Initiative now. It?s free. Make it count!
With Windows Live Hotmail, you can personalize your inbox with your favorite color.
www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/personalize.html?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_HMWL_reten_addcolor_0607