[meteorite-list] Sky detonation video

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:52:09 EDT

>>Yesterday I viewed a video on youtube that is utterly perplexing as to
what
is being videod.

At first you seem to be viewing a stationary object in the sky near Venus,
through a high powered lens or telescope, it is motionless for 10 - 15
seconds, then, suddenly explodes, and debris falls to Earth for quite a
while.

??

Any guesses as to what it might be folks?<<

Well...it looks like to me to be something with a relatively slow
speed...roughly that of a balloon for example. It could be mostly coming or going away
from the observer. If it's at a distance...like a quarter mile or more, and
moving any direction, it will still appear near motionless for the 10 or 15
seconds of viewing. When it exploded, the pieces didn't appear to have any
appreciable velocity other than what a falling object would have under the
influence of gravity. Don't know what it was, but my gut is leaning towards it
being a prank. A balloon carrying a bright object of some kind perhaps? The
balloon could have been filled with hydrogen or natural gas and designed (or
accidentally) to ignite at some point. It doesn't have the appearance to me to be
something I'd get overly concerned with...unless it was a combustible over a
dry brushy area.
George Zay