[meteorite-list] Geologists to Name 'New' Impact Crater in Montana after Havre Couple

From: Paul <bristolia_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:09:47 -0700 (PDT)

Ron Baalke wrote:

>http://www.havredailynews.com>/articles/2007/06/11/local_headlines/local.txt
>
>Geologists to name "new" meteorite crater
>after Havre couple by Annette Hayden, Havre
>Daily News (Montana), June 11, 2007

Using information given in the article, I used Google
Earth to find the the location of the structure, which
it discusses. The latitude and longitude of this
structure is:

108.6729941879148 W
47.82294379843308 N

It is on the edge of hills known as "The Little Rocky
Mountains". There a number of circular structure
within the region associated with laccolithic intrusions.
There is a discussion of this in "Geology and Physiography
of Fort Belknap" at:

http://serc.carleton.edu/research_education/nativelands/ftbelknap/geology.html

The ?Geologic Map of the Zortman 30' x 60' Quadrangle,
Central Montana? can be downloaded from:

http://www.mbmg.mtech.edu/stmap.htm

and

http://www.mbmg.mtech.edu/pdf_100k/zortman.pdf

Two publications on the geology of the area are:

Knechtel, M.M., 1944, Oil and gas possibilities of the
plains adjacent to the Little Rocky Mountains, Montana:
U.S. Geological Survey, Oil and Gas Investigations
Map OM-4, scale 1:48000.

Knechtel, M.M., 1959, Stratigraphy of the Little Rocky
Mountains and encircling foothills, Montana: U.S.
Geological Survey, Bulletin 1072-N, scale 1:48000.

Best Regards,

Paul