[meteorite-list] Global Warming - Scientifically proven or a farce

From: star-bits at tx.rr.com <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 0:06:28 -0700

I am growing weary of this "debate" and since I seem to have the knack of ending threads on the rare occasions when I post on them, lets kill this one right now.

    Global warming isn't a debate it is two sides talking past each other.

Side 1 sees glaciers melting and snowcapped mountains without snow and a hundred other anecdotal observations and says global warming is obvious even to the casual observer. How can you be so blind as not to notice. With 6 billion humans and their hundreds of millions of automobiles and other polluting industries it is equally obvious humanity is to blame and something must be done IMMEDIATELY to stop this.

Side 2 sees the anecdotal evidence as just that anecdotal. There is no smoking gun which says any current climate change is anything other than mother nature flexing her muscles. Proponents range from there is no global warming, it is just a short term fluctuation, to records show numerous times in the past where earth has been warmer than it is now and this is just another warm up period. Since the human impact, miniscule or great, is not fully understood, taking draconian steps to reduce greenhouse gases which will affect global standards of living with no assurances of any effect on the climate, is premature. If you don't understand the problem your solution may be flawed, too little or too much or completely irrelevant. Note side 2 does not deny the anecdotal evidence or some climate change, just the conclusions drawn from it. So new evidence of warming, which side 1 will scream from the roof tops, has little to no effect on side 2 which is looking for solid scientific evidence of what exactly
is the effect of humanity on the climate.

Side 1 is more emotional and side 2 more analytical. Neither side will credit the the other and will continue to talk past each other until mother nature forces a solution on one side or the other. Neither side will convert the other at this point so further discussion on the "METEORITE!!!" list is not only against list rules, but a waste of time and bandwidth.

Lets kill this thread, no posting to the list to tell me how right or wrong I am.

--
Eric Olson
7682 Firethorn Dr