[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust - Different Shades of Color

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:05:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List:

  I have a question regarding different shades of fusion crusts. I realize that they are black, but I have read that some are greenish (lunar stones) or purplish (CM?s) or brownish in some cases.

  Are the different shades in the fusion crust produced from the mineralogy, or perhaps something else? I remember reading that Aubites (I think) have a purplish or maroon crust, and I think it said something about being Calcuim rich.

  If anyone can expand on this, I would really appreciate it.

  Much Thanks,

  Greg S.