[meteorite-list] Global Warming - 'Facts'

From: Eric Twelker <twelker_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:53:30 -0800

    All of this warming stuff may seem unrelated to meteoritics?but there is
some connection. I find it more than a bit distressing that certain members
of the scientific community have insisted that other scientists and the
public throw away their skepticism on this issue of critical scientific
importance. Theirs is an assault on science itself.

    With due respect to Allan Trieman, the ?facts? that he cites don?t
support tossing aside science and scientific skepticism. For example, he
cites a global temperature graph from Phil Jones
(http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/warming). Jones has refused to reveal
the stations from which his data is derived. This has been an ongoing
controversy and his data is not reproducible. Jones should be cited as an
example of bad science, not as proof of anything.

    Allan cites a graph of temperature proxies.
http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/temperatures-over-previous-centuries-from-va
rious-proxy-records There are huge problems with just about all of the
graphs of this sort. Many or most involve hiding or truncation of data to
prove a preconceived point. For example, tree ring proxies trend suddenly
downward in the last part of the twentieth century and the first part of
this century. What to these ?scientists? do about this? They simply delete
this ?inconvenient divergence.? And glaciers started receding at least as
early as the mind eighteenth century?long before man-made CO2 emissions had
an impact. And finally, the universal tactic of tacking on the supposed
instrumental record onto the proxies (disgustingly this is not even labeled
in the above graph) while deleting the real data is most unscientific.

    Our politicians are busy using this supposed science to distribute huge
amounts of money?and not surprisingly the rent-seekers abound. We are
clearing huge swaths of rainforest to produce subsidized biodiesel and
ethanol (not lawn furniture, Mike). Oil companies and utilities are lining
up to sell carbon credits. And, sadly, the ?scientists? are cashing in too.

    So to all of those who say the debate is over, I say cool it. We will
listen to your serious science, but don?t ask us to toss science away for
your politics or profit.

    Eric Twelker