[meteorite-list] SCIENTIFIC VALUE OF (SOME) HAMMER STONES

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:36:43 -0500

Hi, All,

> ...because where a meteorite lands and what it hits
> has no scientific value or importance whatsoever.

    Actually, when accurately reported and verified, such
falls have a great scientific value. Recorded over a period
of time, data like the number and frequency of cars hit
by meteorites can be used to calculate the total number
of meteorites that fall per year over the entire Earth, an
essential datum that is in some dispute.

    It is possible (and not that difficult) to find out how
many cars (and trucks) are registered in the US from
year to year, for many decades. Since cars, old or new,
have roughly the same "footprint" on the planet, it's
easy to calculate the total area of all cars added together
(trucks are done separately and added in).

    The thing about the area of a "target" for a random
bombardment is that it makes no difference to the math
of it whether the "target area" is all collected together in
one spot (like a plot of a hundred square miles in Arizona)
or spread out over the entire nation (like cars). It's all the
same; area is all the counts.

    By observing the frequency of meteorite hits on cars,
we can derive a very accurate figure for the number of
meteorite falls per unit area per year. The same approach
can be used with other distributed items: meteorite hits
on ships, meteorite hits on buildings, meteorite hits on
people, and so forth.

    There are problems with some of these possible
indicators. People are too small, despite their numbers --
they don't get hit very often. Meteorite hits on buildings often
go unnoticed. Ships, large, ocean-going, possess a very
small target area compared to US cars but have recorded
enough hits to suggest a even higher rate than cars do.

    Doing the math, car hits suggests that the traditional
MORP value of 25,000 meteorites falling to Earth per year
grossly underestimates the Fall Rate which seems to be,
using conservative assumptions, between 60,000 and
80,000 per year for the planet as a whole.

    Record the hits, please.

Sterling K. Webb