[meteorite-list] Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:36:30 -0600

> We all agreed that meteorites
> will be cold (or at least very cool) when they land. The effects of
> heating due to entry and fusion crust formation should be "gone" in
> tens
> of seconds (while they are still falling). So their temperature on the
> ground should reflect their ambient temperature in space.

Hi Larry-

While I think the conclusion is correct, the reasoning is too simple.

A typical meteorite-producing meteoroid (let's call that an object not
more then a few meters across, and probably much less) will have spent a
considerable length of time at about 1 A.U.- weeks if in a highly
eccentric orbit, and months or years otherwise. It will have reached an
equilibrium temperature associated with 1 A.U. That temperature is easy
enough to calculate. While there's no way of knowing just what the
surface characteristics were like for the parent of any given meteorite,
we can use the material properties of meteorites, or the measured
optical properties of asteroids, to come up with a reasonable range,
from which we calculate a temperature on the order of 30?C ? 50?C
(cooler for stones, warmer for irons). Not surprising, since that's not
far from the range for a rock sitting on the surface of the Earth.

That's not the whole picture, however. Most meteorites are small
objects, measured in centimeters and 10s or 100s of grams. They normally
become small while still quite high, and then spend several minutes
falling through ~-40?C air at 50 or 100 m/s. That kind of airflow
results in extremely efficient convective heat transfer. I think that in
the case of most small meteorites (the sort people are likely to pick up
immediately after a fall), the passage through the atmosphere has
actually cooled the object down below what it was in space.

Run that around during your next asteroid lunch and let me know what you
all think.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory