[meteorite-list] Baszkówka- Was: Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:52 +0200

I guess too, that the reports, that fallen stones, would be hot is rather
based on the common misconception, that meteorites and falling stars,
because they cause such light phenomena, have to be red-hot and glowing.
Mike mentioned the presentation of falls in Hollywood films, but take also
the Toyota commercial, or last year the funny case in Germany, where an
arbour burnt down and for the police a meteorite fall was the most probably
cause, as it's generally known, that they are glowing, when they fall (and
that they were told also by the observatory/planetarium in Bochum...).

If you have a website about meteorites, you'll get a lot of email concerning
"meteorite" finds from laypeople and of course there will be always a few,
who state and swear to have seen their find falling and that it was hot,
when they picked it up - prrrrroblem: the stones all are no meteorites at
all, but are terrestrial, hence they had no other temperature than all
stones else lying around there.

And not to underestimate is the mythmaking with older falls. Of course a
meteorite fall must have appeared as an extraordinary (and perhaps
terrifying) event and rarely such falls were reported by first hand.

I'm quite sure, if one would sight fall reports from 19th century, one would
find a lot, wherein the stone was to hot to touch, still glowing on the
third day, emitting poisonous vapours and other devilish work...

Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----