[meteorite-list] Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:24:03 -0400

Hi Alex, Elton, Sterling and all,

Nininger did a number of investigations where people picked up
meteorites soon after the fall. His conclusions were they were cold to
the touch (a number of them frosted over) after falling. Seems however
there is always an exception to the rule and this seem to be the case
for Noblesville, Indiana which was recovered seconds after the fall
nearly missing Broody Spaulding and his friend by a few feet. They
claimed it was warm to the touch.

One of the Portales Valley specimens was said to have melted a tarp
after its fall. This meteorite had lots of metal in it though and might
explain that. Also in the hot desert it isn't impossible for the black
crust to absorb heat and melt plastic.

I've come to the conclusion that most falls will be cold to the touch
with a few rare exceptions being slightly warm to hot to the touch.
There isn't any scientifically documented instances (that I know of)
where meteorites have cause fires. They just aren't that hot. The study
of meteorites is of undifferentiated material. If they were red hot,
white hot when they fell then their isotopes would be re-set and all the
useful information would be lost. The exception of course is the ablated
crust.

--AL Mitterling

Mr EMan wrote:

In my mind this supports that the thermal transfer coefficent
is the key factor and that stones will be cold and irons will be
warm immediately after landing.