[meteorite-list] TEKTITE SCULPTURE Anda, V-grooves and U-grooves

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:16:24 +0100 (BST)

Hi

  I know this may be nothing new to folk who have been collecting tektites many years, but it is something that has fascinated me recently and may be of interest to some collectors.

  I have recently updated my website dedicated to tektites. It is an ongoing process as ideas and opinions evolve. I appreciate that other people may have different opinions. My recent updates include that on Anda sculpture and V-grooves www.tektites.co.uk/9 and on evolving ideas about gutters and navals on Philippinite biscuits www.tektites.co.uk/8. Many other pages have been modified, but as always time is a great constraint.

  Basically, I discuss Anda sculpture and V-grooves in Philippinites and Indochinites and conclude that it is almost certainly due to chemical etching and essentially no different to the patterns very well developed in Moldavites (from Besednice in particular) and also occurs in Bediasites and Australites. Is the internal radiating pattern a cooling product?

  I then return to naval formation on Philippinite biscuits. With 2 specimens that I aquired from Desmond Leong of www.tektiteinc.com it appears that my original ideas on naval formation and flight orientation were incorrect. As I said, ideas evolve and I won't stubbonly stick to things that don't work, hence the change in my website. In these specimens from Camarines Norte, Philippines, which are finely grooved like javanites, shell material is clearly seen attached to the naval. These photos are fascinating. This also leads to questions as to whether U-grooves of biscuits and breadcrusts have been enlarged by etching along pre-defined cracks. If this is the case, then why U-shaped and not V-shaped etching?

  Note that I may be out of town shortly so unable to reply to feedback.

  Many thanks and I hope you enjoy the site!

  Aubrey
  www.tektites.co.uk