[meteorite-list] Attempted robbery, I am coming home.

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:14:26 -0700 (PDT)

Well, only hours after writing about how unsafe it is
here in the Cali meteorite strewnfield, I now must
write that only two hours ago I had a gun pointed at
me and my friends in an attempted robbery/kidnapping.
Robert and I were with a local astronomy group, in the
barrios where the meteorites fell, and we spent the
morning with two groups of news reporters, one for the
El Pais newspaper, and one for a Colombian national TV
station. We were warned several times to leave the
area by the locals. After doing some interviews and
photo ops hunting and talking with people, we got into
two taxis and left to meet at a place for lunch. I was
with two of the Colombian astronomy club members and
as we tried to drive through a barrio just near where
one of the stones was found, a man ran at the taxi
with a large gun scraming at us to stop. I saw the
people in the front of the taxi duck down and then saw
the gunman running at us. The driver hit the gas and
we swerved around him, but the gun was about 1 meter
from my head.
He did not fire thank god, but what a scare, we
quickly tried to get out of the neigborhood and told
police who ran to the place but we have no idea what
happened later. We just fled.
We are done here, it is clearly not safe enough to
stay, Robert and I both have collection pieces, and
having a gun near your head is enough to know when to
call it even and go home.
I am a little shook up right now, will write more
about the meteorite later today or tonight. I already
have a flight home tomorrow morning and plan to get
out of Dodge as fast as possible. Those of you who
don't hunt meteorites should appreciate the danger
that those of us who do hunt, face in some of these
countries.
Michael Farmer