[meteorite-list] Back again with my Santa Fé iron ... iron?

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2007 21:18:34 UT

Hello again,

Mirko emailed me saying he doesn't see why Santa F? should be particularly
prone to rusting. I just had a second, a closer look at my piece under my scope.
Some "brownish" areas may be rusty spots - interestingly all of them in the thin
(maybe nickel-poor) laths enveloping the subangular (probably nickel-rich) islands
like channels (reminds me of those Mars channel drawings ;-) criss-crossing each other.

*But* some of these brownish area definitely look like narrow silicate "linings" and are
reminiscent of the Miles IIE silicated iron or even the IVA-anom Steinbach iron with
its pyroxene-tridymite intergrowth!

To avoid misunderstandings: under no circumstances did I want to say that Mirko's
Santa F? pieces are rusters because of "poor" etching or stabilizing. You can buy
them with absolute confidence. They are expertly cut, ground and polished and
worth every dollar or Euro you pay for them!

Best wishes,

Bernd

To: Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Cc: m_graul at yahoo.de