[meteorite-list] meteorites ON mars

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 03:45:37 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not thinking of doing an expedition to Mars or
anything but I was wondering if anyone has published
any work regarding meteorites on Mars? I know a couple
have been spotted by the rovers already having looked
at just a very small area of the surface.

With Mars being much colder and drier than even
Antarctica, it seems to me that they could lie
preserved for millions of years. Contamination would
happen due to the ultra fine nature of the dust but
otherwise they'd remain pristine almost forever.
With the meteors hitting Mars' atmosphere slower due
to increased distance from the sun AND the lower
escape velocity of Mars both contributing to increase
the odds, how is this offset by the reduced
atmospheric pressure, similar to earth's at 100,000ft.

Since most meteorites on earth stop at around
30,000ft, where the air is still 30% surface pressure,
what are the threshold limits for Mars?
I have them for earth but not a method for determining
it. I don't even know if the earth thresholds are
determined emprically or theorhetically.
If these are known for Mars and the density of
meteorites on Mars' surface deduced, it would give us
a far better idea of how much stuff is floating around
out there and also, how much is likely lying on the
earth.

I know this is a tough call but I'm sure someone will
be better connected than I am.

I'd love to take a look at any data, if you have it or
access to it.

Regards

Rob McC