[meteorite-list] Alaskan muck and Gibbens (short)

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:47:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

Having reflected overnight on Paul's objections, a few
more points are in order.

The original deposits which Gibben observed were
destroyed by the hydraulic mining operation which
exposed them. How equivalent the deposits which Paul
cited stuides of were to the ones Gibben's observed I
can't say, but there is no resemblance.

Taking Paul's claim at face value, the puzzle here is
why Gibben's would intentionally lie about what he
saw, when those who were there with him at the time
were still alive. For that matter, why would he
report something so extraoridnary in the first place?
The man was a leading archaeologist.

On the other hand, given the use others have made of
Gibben's reports, I could understand why his
observations would be "questioned" by later
researchers. I doubt that those studies were
"unbiased".

Of course, the same has happened recently to Schultz
et al.'s work at Rio Cuarto. And then there's the
Sakhalinda crater.

I suppose it will all come out in the wash.

non illegitimi carborundum, as the saying goes.
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas