[meteorite-list] Did I Destroy This End Cut

From: David & Kitt Deyarmin <bobadebt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 14:50:49 -0500

This condition did not occur from an attempt to etch this piece.

As I said I was just trying to see if the chemical I use to remove rust,
very similar to Naval Jelly, would have any affect on this piece if it were
left in the solution for an extended period.

It did affect it, just not in the way I envisioned :)

David,

No, You did not ruin it. What that solution did was a deep etch.
These bring out details that less aggressive etching does not produce.
I would sell it as is, for that very reason. They crystal structure is
quite evident. What kind of etching solution did you use that left it
black? If you used FeCl3 that would be bad.

You might try a less aggressive etch with 10% nitric acid and alcohol
to bring out finer details.

I have one Canyon Diablo with diamonds that I sandblasted and it was
naturally etched by oxidation. It is a pretty amazing piece.

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470