[meteorite-list] Grandstanding?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:56:46 -0400

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 03:11:47 EDT, you wrote:

>Darren!
>Did you contribute anything?
>No, you don't need to respond.

And I wouldn't. That would be hypocritical of me, one way or the other.

>.
>The people of Greensburg need a lot more help, and using a large check is a
>way to get some attention to this cause.
>It worked! You are all talking about it!

And you have the leadership of the town (and probably a part of the citizenry)
offended, and a negative newspaper article about the squabble going out for all
the world to see showing backbiting amongst various meteorite collectors that is
par for course for the list. Now, no matter what, there is going to be some
bitterness remembered for an act of charity. Not all publicity is good
publicity.

I mentioned before (and some will choose to ignore that and only pay attention
to the critical part) that "All the time, effort, and donations put into
collecting that money was nobile and admirable." And the thought behind the
large cardboard check are pure, too, I'm sure. But how people would react to it
wasn't as well thought out, I would think (and sorry if that offends those who
worked hard on this).

Thesis 1: Being able to give to charity makes you feel good.

Thesis 2: Having been reduced to needing charity makes you feel bad.

Thesis 3: A public presenting of a large check to a town official implies a need
for a public reaction-- applause, a heartfelt thank you, acknowledgement of your
being able to help and their needing it.

I imagine that, being in a small, non-rich community in the middle of nowhere in
the middle of nowhere, the people of Haviland are pretty proud and independant
minded. I imagine that they are humuliated to be reduced to having to accept
handouts from strangers just to keep rooves over their heads, food in their
stomachs, and clothes on their backs. Helping them is good. Helping them makes
you feel good. Having some sort of ceremonial closure to the long hours and the
money you spent collecting money makes you feel good. But being explicitly and
publicly reminded that they NEED the charity of strangers does NOT make the
people being donated to feel good. Sure, they are happy that people do look out
for each other, and that they are getting help. But they feel horrible that
they NEED help.

I just think that large cardboard checks are an item for HAPPY occasion--
lottery and contest winners, mostly. A charitable donation to the survivors of
a destroyed is NOT a happy occasion. It is a solemn, embarrassing, and sad one
for those who were actually affected by the tornado. And those always blessed
enough to be the ones GIVING charity instead of having to ever be the ones
accepting charity Just Don't Get It.