[meteorite-list] EBAY Slag for sale

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 22:40:30 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin & list,

The torch test described on our website helps to
distinguish between natural glasses and tektite glass,
but it may not help with glassy industrial slags.
Such materials have already been heated to a molten
state for an extended period and will have exsolved
much of their volatile content. Consequently, they
will likely behave similarly to tektite glass. I have
just added a note to our website tektite tests page to
help avoid this confusion.

Cheers,
Norm
http://tektitesource.com

--- kevin decker <innocentwolf15 at hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

Georgia is rich in Iron ore mining/smelting.I just
yesterday was given some black glassy chunks.I thought
hmmmm..Impact material/tektite?..I mean these chunks
are Huge!..I just today did the test described on
Norms site "the Tektite Source"..with an oxy/acetylene
torch.I didn't froth up like pic 1,but instead looks
like pic 2..I held the torch there for more than a
minute..and it reached Incandescent stage,,blinding
hot.I don't know what to think of this material,the
largest chunk I picked up today,weighs,an astounding
14 pounds!...(and that was just a chunk off a much
bigger peice) Alot of this material has lechatelierite
threads.
It also has microscopic Iron Spherules,along with
bigger chunks of Iron,some looking like Sikhote-Alin
material.(sculpted Shrapnel).Color is a light yellow
to a light green,but looks black,
The veiw inside these, show bubbles with what I take
as bubble trails,the Bubbles get bigger as they
approach the surface.Any Ideas?..I just bought a cheap
Kodak Digital cam..and will take some pics tomm,then
I'll get them developed and put on a cd. Best
regards,

Kevin W.L.Decker