[meteorite-list] Etching Iron Meteorites

From: Drake <Monel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:42:06 -0500

While it's true that the Widmanstatten pattern was first seen in
meteorites, it is fairly commonly seen in terrestrial metal alloys.

Metals are crystals when in solid form, and undergo allotropic phase
changes when heated and cooled. Adding different metals together form
alloys and these solutions form new phases. Even these new phases
undergo phase changes when heated and cooled. So just having two metals
in solution can create several different phases. Each of these phases
have different melting points, solidification points, and temperatures
at which these phase changes take place.

All this is like water and salt... Water has a boiling point and a
freezing point. Ice, liquid water, and steam are all phases. If you add
salt, the boiling point is lowered and the freezing point is lowered.
This is just a quick example of how one thing can change the phases of
another.

In metals its exactly the same thing, except there are actually several
phases that exist when the metal alloy is in solid form.

The Widmanstatten pattern is a geometrical pattern resulting from the
formation of a new phase along certain crystallographic planes of the
parent solid solution. The orientation of the lattice in the new phase
are crystalographically related to the lattice in the parent phase.

This can happen in wrought iron alloys used for heat treating fixtures,
aluminum alloys, copper alloys and very commonly in titanium alloys. It
can also happen in HSLA alloys when improperly heat treated.

Sorry for rambling.

I am in no way a meteorite expert, but I'm very passionate about
metallurgy. I have looked at the Nantan and the Campo I have in my
metallurgical laboratory. There is no way that some of the things I've
seen could be made on earth in less than 4 billion years. If you want a
quick lesson in metallurgy, I wrote a paper explaining some of the cool
metallurgical stuff.

http://home.sprynet.com/~monel/metallurgy_faq_v11.htm

Drake

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes