[meteorite-list] Anyone visit the NJO today?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:49:07 -0600

Hi,

    I'll gladly grant that I do not a huge amount
of hands-on experience with irons and have only
looked at 40 or 50, but I have to say that the
surface of this object has the oddest geometry.
I've been staring at the reasonably good photo
in the article (URL below). It does not resemble
any aerodynamic sculpture I've ever seen.
    I call on the more expert (and there are lots
of you!), does this look meteoritic in its surface
features to you?
    Because I don't want to be a Lazy Listoid
that just dumps stuff on others, I went to Google
Images for "iron meteorite" and cruised through
the first 600 pictures or so, looking for its like.
Didn't see it. Lots of nice irons, but nothing
with surface features like this.
    From what I can gather, Delaney gave it the
nickel test (it passed) but was not allowed to
cut or window or etch. It seems to have been
informally accepted into the Meteorite Club,
by the press anyway.
    If it's real, how did it get these surface features?
Anyone have any iron similar in its sculpture?

Sterling K. Webb