[meteorite-list] Potter: RFS Picture of the Day - January 27, 2007

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:52:39 -0600

?The details that I wrote up that disagreed with the Nininger book and the
article came from Dirk, so I suspect that they are more correct than either
of the above sources.?

I do not see a disagreement with what you wrote and what is in Nininger?s
book. This leads me to suspect that Dirk is using FAFS as a reference. No
reference is noted so if I am wrong, please correct me Dirk.

The difference in the two accounts is that Nininger says in the book that he
met that brother-in-law at a Colorado truck stop, while the article says
that the McKinney?s were referred to Nininger by a local guy.

Also the NPA seems to refer to the find as recent in 1941, and only notes
two stones had so far been found and sold, while in FAFS, Nininger says (in
the paragraph after you left off) that ?We recovered a total of sixty-five
meteorites during 1937-38. Each has something of a story. But to me?"

You will note in the FAFS, that Nininger does not mention the names of the
finder, which he has no problem doing in much of the rest of FAFS. This may
mean that Nininger did not have any reference on the purchases in front of
him, and that he is recalling the story from memory. As I stated before
Nininger didn?t actually write the book. From reading personal letters and a
few accounts in FAFS, it appears Abbey did a good portion of all the writing
for all the Nininger books. At the time of FAFS Nininger was quite
unhealthy, so Margret and Huss were doing the lions share of all work, and
likely helped with the writing/editing.

Dirk mentioned before to the list of having seen some receipts, if I
remember right, so perhaps he could shed a little more light on this.
Perhaps even provide scans of hopefully dated receipts?

Right now I would still more rely with an at the time account (Nininger was
still recovering Potter in 1941), rather then a few paragraphs wrote 35
years, and a 100 meteoites, after the event.

Mark