[meteorite-list] Mike Farmer= "some guy"?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:36:30 -0500

Or could she mean someone else?

"And some guy who sells meteorites supposedly made $500,000 last year. They're
this century's Pet Rocks."

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/16540718.htm

Rare rock hurled by God ... Make offer
JAN A. IGOE
EARTH TO JAN
It was a typical Monday for those without trust funds. I was heading to work at
the news mine down S.C. 31 - where the speed limit is 65 unless you're a dump
truck, like the one that blew past me as if I'd grown roots.

Clumps of dirt and rock spewed out the back as an unidentified flying object
slammed into my windshield. I could just make out the signs plastered on the
truck's rear end: "Not Responsible for Broken Windshields." It was right above
"How's my Driving?"

Since they asked, I called the trucking company to oblige. But the troll who
answered didn't seem to be aware of the latter sign. And he was less than
delighted to hear from yet another disgruntled driver with a cracked windshield.
The troll assured me that:

1. The company does not haul, nor have they ever knowingly hauled, any hard,
sharp objects. Only certified soft, friendly, child-safe, nontoxic, organic yard
waste made from marshmallows.

2. It's my fault for getting in the truck's way.

3. This was an act of God, who disliked my windshield.

4. Besides, insurance pays for this stuff, so quit pouting.

But I like to pout, so I kept whining that:

1. The vast scope of yard waste generally includes, but is not limited to, sharp
rocks, small boulders, tree trunks and other malicious, windshield-piercing
objects.

2. Since I do not pilot a helicopter, it's extremely difficult to elude a
road-hogging predator passing me at 85 miles per hour.

3. The God I pray to has a pretty full agenda what with war, famine, disease,
hatred, natural disasters, my daughter's boyfriend and My Space. He/she would
not waste time hurling rocks at cars recently sighted in the Presbyterians'
parking lot.

4. Insurance may pay for this stuff, but I pay for the insurance. And they like
to raise my rates.

The third time I called the truck guy back (we kept getting disconnected), he
had several suggestions - including one I can repeat: "Sell it on eBay."

Sell the car? No, he says, "the alleged flying rock. Sell it on eBay."

So I checked. Inanimate objects are big business on eBay. A rare Nano Rex jaw
can be yours for just $6,995. And some guy who sells meteorites supposedly made
$500,000 last year. They're this century's Pet Rocks.

This is swell news for the N.J. family who had one come crashing through their
bathroom ceiling. They may just clear enough to fix their roof. That's a good
thing, because the UFO it came from no doubt has a sign: "Not Responsible for
Earthlings' Broken Roofs."

And by the way, "How's my Flying?"