[meteorite-list] Mars Connection to Seaton Beach 'Find'

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:43:37 -0800 (PST)

http://www.midweekherald.co.uk/midweekherald/news/story.aspx?brand=MDWOnline&category=news&tBrand=devon24&tCategory=newsmdw&itemid=DEED24%20Jan%202007%2010%3A26%3A27%3A343

Mars connection to Seaton beach 'find'
Midweek Herald (United Kingdom)

THE chances of anything coming from Mars... are almost
certain, if you ask Terry Pavey from Seaton.

Mr Pavey, of Seaton Down Road, was combing Seaton beach three
years ago when he found a rock that experts say is a meteorite
from Mars.

Mr Pavey, born and raised in Axmouth, is a keen metal detector
enthusiast and knows the local beaches well.

He said: "I don't know geology, but I had an instant idea it
was a meteorite.

"If it was a normal metallic rock, like the ones you usually
find, it would have been rusty and I wouldn't have thought
anything of it.

"But this rock was shiny and looked so new I thought straight
away it must have come from space."

Upon finding the rock, Mr Pavey described its features to two
Canadian friends from the metal detecting community, who
recommended taking it to an expert.

Mr Pavey continued: "I took it to Eve's in Seaton and they put
me onto an expert in Scotland, so I flew up there and had it
checked out.

"He compared it to other specimens and said it was almost
definitely a meteorite from Mars.

"I often carry a bit around to show different people.

"They're always amazed at the story.

"It's an amazing specimen and begs all kind of questions like
when did it break off, how long had it been travelling and how
far has it come?

"I read it's the first to be discovered in England since 1991.

"If it weren't for the metal detector I wouldn't have noticed
it at all.

"I feel so lucky to have found it.

"When I first brought it into the Harbour Inn, in Axmouth, the
girl behind the bar held it and said it felt warm.

"I don't know if that was the heat from her hand or what, but
I like to think it was millions of Martians running around inside!