[meteorite-list] Fw: Namibia: So Much Potential But Not EnoughFunds (Hoba Meteorite)

From: Jose Campos <josecamposcomet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:56:19 -0000

Hi Sterling and List,

The first europeans to sail along the coast of present day Namibia, was the
portuguese sea navigator Diogo Cam in 1483; he erected on the coast a
padr?o (a limestone column with the portuguese coat of arms and an engraved
inscription and a small cross on top). In fact, on another trip further
south, he erected another one, I think in 1485. One of these padr?o has been
kept in a german museum for quite a number of years. Next, was Bartolomeu
Dias, who also placed aonother padr?o at Dias Point, he went on sailing much
further down the east african coast and rounding the Cape to which then, he
called it the Cape of Storms, but on his return voyage back to Lisbon, King
Dom Jo?o II of Portugal changed the name to Cape of Good Hope, as it is know
to this day. The Namibian coast (previously South West Africa), become known
as the Skeleton Coast because of the many shipwrecks that happened on that
feared stretch of coast land, with sandbanks, dangerous currents and fog.
In those days of sea discovery, there were no known maps and they knew
nothing about winds and sea currents. No GPS either! :)

NAMIBIA has, I think, 13 know meteorites, the most famous ones are the HOBA
~60 Tons and the GIBEON (several large masses) of which I have seen the 880
kg one (among others), at the South African Museum, Cape Town in 1982.
Jos? Campos
Portugal