[meteorite-list] NWA 869 - Ugly duckling with a heart of gold

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2007 18:29:23 UT

NWA 869 is one of those Hot Desert meteorites whose beauty has often been
undervalued just because there is so much of it available and because some
of these specimens are weathered or look "ugly". Fellow list member Christian
Anger and several other collectors are the proud owners of extremely beautiful
NWA 869 individuals with stunningly fresh crusts and breathtaking interiors.

As for the "heart of gold", just look at the RFS picture of the day for March 27th,
2006. It shows my NWA 869 thin section in cross-polarized light. Now, if this is
"ugly", then I do not know what ugly is ;-)

It's one of my thin section favorites!

See it here: http://www.spacerocksinc.com/March_27.html

Cheers,

Bernd