[meteorite-list] COMET McNAUGHT IS STILL VISIBLE IN DAYLIGHT!

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:52:04 -0600

Steve wrote:

"Also, for seeing Comet McNaught after the sun goes down here in AZ I don't think is possible as it sets before the sun and the tail points downward and toward the south. So it is a daylight object for us here in the US and the north."

Hello again Steve, and thanks for the wonderful posts from someone as enthusiastic and luckily located for this incredible event for those that careful to observe it, which is of the type of once or twice in most lifetimes. Let me ditto all of your accolades to the show, though I have had a rather poor latitude and sky quality for such remarkable observations.

I do differ on the first quoted statement you made which is of meteoroidic interest. I think this case we have is the case to watch, and gives us a unique experience to detect the exceptions to the general rule of "the comet's tail always points away from the Sun."

First, you need to consider you are looking at a projection when you observe - essentially a two dimensional figure, while the tail points "away" in the third dimension in a way very difficult to properly view.

As you sure are aware, comets have two qualities of tails which can point in different directions. Near the nucleus and coma with the instantaneous production of dust material and charged particles, they converge in the same direction: the anti-solar direction as you mention. However, this comet has at least a 20 million km long tail and is very close to perihelion which was correspondingly near the ecliptic, as it continues to dip south while the tails are extended relatively parallel to the ecliptic (might say "west" if you were using Solar centered coordinates), though this of course is rapidly changing to "south", too.

The detail occurs in that while the ion trail is picked up by the Solar "wind" and follows this anti-solar orientation (from flat to directly below the plane of the Solar system which is the basic direction of travel of the comet, too, the brilliant dust trail in such an exciting case as this one has managed to pick up a great deal of curvature as things are happening so fast. Material that was sloughed off previous to crossing the Solar plane is in its own Unique stream, something like a meteoroid stream will diffuse along the whole orbit.

Projections are pretty tricky, but remember the comet is 130 million km away or so, and just because it crosses the plane of Earth's orbit, does create an instant flip. Look at some of the beautiful pictures of the tail and you can see all the physics at work of both of our comments.

The bottom line is that the tails can easily delay a little to reorient, as the great curvature in this case demonstrates, and we need to view this from a neutral detached point, not from an overly geo-centric perspective which would be misleading.

Maybe this can help clear up my thinking? Note the tails' orientations:
http://spaceguard.esa.int/NScience/neo/neo-what/com-tail.htm

Anyhow that is what I think, right or wrong, plus there also were unverified observations this phenomenon, and you are in Flagstaff, where I wish I could be to check this out. But this is a transient effect and will quickly be lost if it hasn't been already. Just, specifically, the reason you suggested it is not possible, is the reason that makes it so interesting and exciting to look for after Sunset.

My two centavos and a wish for best health,
Doug