[meteorite-list] New micrographs of NWA 998 Nakhlite

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:03:21 EST

Hi List,

I can't post pic's to the list so email me if you want me to send a group of
NWA 998 micrographs to you directly.

It's time to return the thin sections of NWA 998 Martian and NWA 482 Lunar
to Jim Strope. (He will have them with him in Tucson and they are FOR SALE so
look him up). I sat down to work on posting images to my Gallery on
Meteorite Times and that led to more photographing which led to higher
magnification, which let to "I need more light than 500W". Anyway, it's 1 degree out side
so I bring the oxy/ acetylene welder in the house. My wife about killed me.
 I set up a lamp house to accommodate a 750W Photo Optic Halogen Oxide Bulb.
 I needed a heat shield on the desk to keep from burning in. I have a heat
absorption filter in the train so I don't heat the slides! The light goes
through MANY lenses, two prisms and one mirror before the slide.

Long story? Wait until you see the pics. These are 998 in standard
cross polarized light at 400X with the addition of a retardation filter. Let
me know what you think. I'm going after the 482 next.

Keep in mind, this isn't about classification, that's already been done.
This is about art! Judge them on that criteria.

Tom Phillips