[meteorite-list] Stolen NWA 869

From: Mike Fowler <mqfowler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:17:20 -0600

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:47:53 -0500, you wrote:
>

> >I doubt if this will ever turn up, but someone has taken a very
> nice, small NWA 869 from
>
> >my collection - right from my own home! I never weighed it, but it
> is somewhere in the
>
> >40-50 gram range. Pics are here;
>

> Surely there is only a small number of people who could have done
> it (I doubt
> that you have dozens of people going through your house) and a
> limited time
> span, so that you could narrow it down? You might not regain the
> meteorite, but
> you don't need a "friend" like that. But with a pice that small and
> in your on
> home, are you sure that it just didn't get misplaced somewhere?
> Have a pet that
> could carry it off?

Once many years ago my wife convinced me that one of my friends had
taken a saw and never returned it. In my heart, I couldn't believe
that of my friend, but as the saw couldn't be found, it was hard to
argue against her, besides she was (and still is) my wife!

After a couple of years the saw turned up in my house, don't remember
where, and my friend was vindicated, although he was no longer in my
circle of friends.

The moral of the story is be very careful about blaming others for
things that disappear in your home, you may have just misplaced it.

Mike Fowler
Chicago