[meteorite-list] Northbranch H5

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:42:30 -0500

Hi Matt,

My best view of the veins is by photography, which is not my best talent, but the 'shine'
of the veins match the 'shine' of the FeNi flecks, so I am making the assumption they are
of the same minerology. I know - when I assume I make an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me'. LOL I
will have to look into this further to be sure. Did you see the closeup picture at;

http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/northbranch4-2b.jpg

It does not show it, but just now I put on my strongest glasses and used a loupe to look
closer. The vein does cross the edge of the partslice and on the opposite side looks
more like a shock vein, not being filled full with the 'shiny stuff'.

Would FeNi flow into a shock vein during the higher temp stage of atmospheric entry?
Would hematite? I don't know how to explain this as I am relatively new to observing
details of slices and am only stating what I see.

Any enlightenment would be very welcome.

Gary