[meteorite-list] University of Toronto Talk by Christopher Charles Age of the Solar System?

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:46:53 -0500

Hi Tett, Roman and all,

Tett Posted:

Then concluding with the suggestion that CAI's may be much older that
previously thought, and
that the solar system may also be much older.

Wish I could have heard the talk also. CAI's have been one of the more
intriguing things found in our solar systems meteorites. It has been
brought up before that these may have been remnants from first
generation stars that super nova and form the solar system. I've heard
an age of about 10 billion years old. After all, iron is a by-product of
first generation stars but the isotopes have been reset by re-heating.
Guess the question is where and when did the CAI's form. It has been
speculated that CAI's are ash from the super nova event (s) that
generated our solar system. Perhaps the conclusions are changing.

--AL Mitterling