[meteorite-list] Fiery, Smoking Object Crashes in Iran

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:07:38 -0700

Well, I wouldn't describe Sikhote-Alin as a "smoking object" exactly.
More of a low altitude fragmentation of a massive object. If something
like that happened in Iran, it would be pretty obvious.

Clearly, plenty of falls have been preceded by witnessed fireballs that
produced smoke trails. The "informed source" was obviously incorrect if
this sort of smoking is what he had in mind. But if the report was a
meteor that smoked to the ground, and was on fire- well, I'd have to
agree that it's very, very unlikely a meteor was involved. I couldn't
really tell from the report what was being described.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com