[meteorite-list] NJ Homeowners Tell of Meteorite Which, Crashed In Their Bathroom

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:57:32 +0100

> The Nageswarans have not decided what to do with their meteorite,
>> despite plenty of advice from family and friends. But they said they
>> want to make sure that the rock, which they have locked up at a bank,
>> serves an educational purpose.
>
> SO TEST THE DAMN THING! Who is advising this family?!! It is
> aggravating that people who appear to want to do the right thing
> [e.g. serve an "educational purpose"] have either not been told of
> the importance of short-lived isotope testing, or have not heeded
> the message.
>
> And just as a reminder, it has yet to be proved that this object is
> even a meteorite! Four gentlemen passing around a metallic lump for
> ten minutes does not constitute a conclusive analysis, regardless of
> how many papers they've published on meteorites.
>
> --Rob

Exactly, Rob! Irons just cannot be identified with certainty by a visual
inspection only. Too many industrial products look like legitimate irons. I do
not trust a "positive" identification without a proper lab report.

Besides of that, given how the object looks in the pictures it is paramount that
shortlived isotopes prove this is a fresh fall and not an eBay fall.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)