[meteorite-list] Irons DON'T form Fusion Crust's - yes they DO

From: Matthias Bärmann <majbaermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:32:04 +0100

Hello Thaddeus & list,

I agree absolutely, my oppositional use of "phenomenoligical" and "scientific" was meant in a more daily-life-sense and not in a philosophical manner.

It's clear that the above mentioned opposition is included in phenomenology itself. It's the merit of Merleau-Ponty that he postulated, against his forfathers Heidegger and Husserl, a "field", a relationship, oscillating between body and mind, empirism and intellectualism, with the "Leib" (in German translation, unfortunately there's no equivalent in English) as a mediator between body and mind.

The problem, and the main aspect of criticism of phenomenology is the fact, that Husserl as well as Heidegger as well as Merleau-Ponty underlined the necessity of experience - Husserl: tending towards "die Sachen selbst" (things themselves) - , but failed in establishing a real pragmatic dimension. The abyss between experience and science remained unbridged - even in the case Merleau-Ponty, who went as far as western philosophy/science allowed him to go, and who clearly fixed the problem, emphasizing the importance of the enbodiment of human experience, but remained with his concept of phenomenology in a theoritical dimension: it is, following the path of western philosophy with it's Greek origins, still philosophy as theoretical reflection.

There's a very interesting reception and evolution of phenomenology in contemporary cognitivism. In this context I'd like only to mention Francisco Varela and his co-authors Evan Thompson and Eleanor Rosch) and his/their concept of an "embodied mind" (as "embodied action") as a manifestation (or a kind of synthesis) of "cognitive science" and "human experience".

Having reached this point I want to stop here. My starting point was to criticize the completely different use of "glassy" in science and human experience. The complete transformation on the atomic level of the orginal matter at the surface of a meteorite via heat makes the scientist to qualify the new status of matter as "glass". But "glass", as we all know from common experience (which is closely connected to the empirical aspects of etymology), mainly evocates "shining" as well as "being transparent" - qualities which don't describe, regarding experience, the appearance of a frish fallen and crusted meteorite at all, whether stone nor iron. But, as we know as well: such a problematic use of language isn't the reason of, it's only symptomatic for the main problem: the fissure between experience and intellect.

Regards,

Matthias