[meteorite-list] Sonic Boom Felt in Florida?

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:53:27 -0500

Hi Mark,
In the SW Florida area there were no very loud booms as when the space
shuttle returned. There were many rumblings over ten to fifteen seconds
and one occurring after I came back from outside after checking the
disturbance.

The news report "A spokesman with The Naval Air Station in Key
West, said at approximately 10am they were conducting an air to air
combat exercise over Southwest Florida. There were 8 military aircraft
involved, including 4 F-16'S and 4 Aggressors. All eight military
aircraft were flying at supersonic speeds. Supersonic speeds when
coupled with the right atmospheric conditions can cause a sonic boom."

Best,
Ken Newton