[meteorite-list] Irons and fusion crust

From: Dave Freeman mjwy <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:49:44 -0700

Dear Crusty's;
I think the whole deal here with "fusion crust" which is what I choose
to call it, all boils down to what academia and thus the rest of us
mortal ones choose to call "fusion crust".
We have discussed this issue numerous times here and it very much
relates my thought to President Clinton's comment a while back,
"No I did not have sex with that woman"......well, one has to define sex
first. Agreement was that something occurred, just how to define it.

Call it a glassy altered surface deposit if you like and it makes you
feel good but in my feeling, anything other than an iron surface, and
anything that has been effected by an iron meteorite blasting through
the atmosphere and directly related to the affects of heating as a
result of passing through the Earth's atmosphere should be categorized
as fusion (because it was hot and burned) crust (because it is on the
exterior surface of) a meteorite. Don't care if it is glassy or
melted cheese whiz. Don't care if it is .000001 mm in thickness or a
full two inch thick crusty black nasty stinky filthy burned rotten
yam..........if it is a result of heat of entry, and on the surface of
an iron meteorite when fresh or relatively freshly occurred, then it
might be a fusion crust.
Just my 2 sense'.
Dave Freeman
with more sense than some