[meteorite-list] Iron Falls & NJO

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 00:45:23 -0800

Hello McCartney, All,
I doubt its meteoric origin as well.
I've personally seen a number of other fresh iron falls and all that had
been recovered recently after falling had been beautifully fusion crusted,
if not on all surfaces, then all save one or two. This other side or two
have always (100% of the time) either been clearly torn, displaying a
widmanstatten pattern of some sort, or sheared, displaying clear parallel
stress lines (see Boguslavka, Ziz, Taza, for examples of this, and of
fusion crust on irons).
The object from NJ appears to have been heavily battered. Assuming it truly
is a meteorite, it's either not an 'ordinary' iron (its odd surface could be
due to a non-uniform internal composition), or else it's part of a huge fall
such as Sikhote-Alin, with enough fragments created at the end point of its
trajectory to cause some serious damage to each other in the fall. I've yet
to see anything like this phenomenon in any irons save Sikhote-Alin, even
amongst other recently fallen crater-forming irons.
Why anyone should doubt the existence of fusion crust on a freshly fallen
iron is beyond me - have a look at Cabin Creek if you want proof that it
still forms on smallish irons falling at terminal velocity.
Regards,
Jason