[meteorite-list] Relict (fossil) meteorites

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 22:09:29 -0700

To all who are interested in this:
In geology we use the term "weathered" or "altered" for rocks where the
*majority* of minerals have been replaced by a weathering product
(Fe-oxides, usually, in the case of chondritic meteorites). If the rock
is a real basket case we put the word "severely" in front of
"weathered". It seems to me that "relict" is sugar-coating the fact
that such meteorites are really severely weathered (W6) and have very
little (<5%) of the original mineralogy visible.

Perhaps the NomCom should add a W7 to Wlotzka's 1993 weathering grade
scheme to take care of the terminology issue.
Matt Morgan