[meteorite-list] Relict (fossil) meteorites

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 14:40:55 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2007 7:21:13 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
dgweir at earthlink.net writes:
Tom wrote:

>Isn't this the first fossil meteorite open to the collector market?

Since the new category of relict (or fossil) meteorites was adopted by
the Nomenclature Committee only this past October, I would imagine there
are likely other relict meteorites in our collections which have not
been so designated. The definition requires that more than 95% of a
meteorite has been replaced by secondary phases since its fall. The
meteorite Mills comes to mind as a possibility, but maybe its not quite
there yet.

David

Would Huckitta qualify?

Anne M. Black