[meteorite-list] Fw: Meteors Light Up Morning Sky in Colorado

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:16:29 EST

>>The visibility of a meteor, even a -14 mag fireball, (that is as bright
as
the full moon), will not last longer than a few seconds, at most.<<
This is correct for most meteors. However, some will last a bit longer....up
into the tens of seconds. The longest lasting one that I'm aware of is the
Great Fireball of 1972 over Wyoming and Montana. This one lasted about 106
seconds. I'm trying to recall the longest duration that I've personally observed
while recording meteor data in the 1990's. I seem to vaguely recall a
duration of between 10 and 15 seconds.
George Zay