[meteorite-list] Meteoric Education For Meteorologists?

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:00:04 -0000

Hi,

Indeed, but you are assuming that everybody on TV who presents the
weather is a qualified meteorologist, so not true!.

 It used to be the case, but now unfortunately it is the 'weather totty
effect' get a nice blonde/bloke giver her/him a few weeks on the job
training and voila instant forecaster that everyone likes.

 Unfortunately weather forecasts are no longer any use, all the
inflections in the voice (which used to mean stuff) and all the correct
terminology etc has gone, replaced by a token gesture forecast like 'its
going to be quite sunny' rather than giving accurate important
information including wind speed direction, visibility, air pressure
etc, the weather is still as important today as ever, peoples lives
still depend on accurate information.

So I doubt training real meteorologists in meteoritics would make any
real difference.

Maybe we could all come up with a 'press education pack' a little
booklet with a space rock stuck on that we could send out to all the
journalists etc for them to read - now that would make a real
difference!

Best,

Mark