[meteorite-list] Iron Falls & NJO

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 15:01:17 -0600

I respectfully can't agree with Mr. Pitt on the NJO (New Jersey Object).

We must all remember that new iron falls will NOT look like Sikhote
Alin, Canyon Diablo, or Campos. Those falls did not slow down to the
retardation point, they kept a significant fraction of their cosmic
velocity. They have enhanced thumbprinting and flowlines due to their
high speeds in the much thicker levels of the atmosphere as they bore
thru dense air.

I've dug up several irons in my new strewnfield that are just as ugly as
the NJO. Most collectors forget that the hunters take the ugly ones to
the saw for slices, while the pretty ones are the specimines. Thus,
collectors see a skewed image of irons.

I propose we take a vote
Who votes the NJO is a meteorite?

-mt