[meteorite-list] NWA 2828 EL3 Fossil Meteorite and Pairings

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 08:02:47 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Greg! This should put this to bed and prove
exactly what I said! Matteo's piece is simply another
piece of this large meteorite. The photos are
identical. I am still trying to find my large box of
fragments of this meteorite, so that I can cut one and
load it on ebay, to show how identical to Matteo's
piece they are. He is just eyeballing meteorites and
giving them his own classifications. Let this be a
very good warning to those who buy from him! Who
knows, all of that Affianello he is selling, could be
La Criolla, or NWA XXXXX. Once someone is well known
for pulling scams, switching material, making up
classifications, then all material they sell should be
suspect. I will never buy one gram of meteorite from
Matteo, he already burned himself by "finding" all
those amazing falls in Italy in a year or so, they
just rained down on beaches and in his friend's
backyards. Amazing luck, or NWA's? You decide, the
nomcom already has!
If you buy from this guy, after all the warnings, all
the scams, all the controversy, then you deserve what
you get.
Michael Farmer

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828chondrule.jpg

> Photograph of magnified whitish enstatite-rich clast
> (image 3):
>
> http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828clast.jpg
>

> Photograph of a 14.3g complete slice of NWA 2828
> (image 4):
>
> http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828slice.jpg
>

> Oxygen isotope results were obtained at the Carnegie
> Institution in
> Washington D.C. Further studies are underway on NWA
> 2828 including bulk rock
> chemical analysis at the University of Cologne, and
> attempted measurement of
> terrestrial age using carbon isotopes at the
> University of Arizona. The
> Total Known Weight (TKW) for NWA 2828 is officially
> recorded as 34,186 grams
> consisting of many stones. With pairings, the
> combined weight is in access
> of 100kg.
>

> Copyright Hup? Collection 2006
>
> <<
>

> NWA 2828 ABSTRACT:
>
> Eos, Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union, 87, Fall Meet.
> Suppl., Abstract P51E-1247
> (2006)
>

> EL3 Chondrite (not Aubrite) Northwest Africa 2828:
> An Unusual
> Fossil-meteorite Occurring as Cobbles in a
> Terrestrial Conglomerate
>

> Scott M. Kuehner1, Anthony J. Irving1, Ted E.
> Bunch2, James H. Wittke2 and
> Gregory M. Hup? 1Earth & Space Sciences, University
> of Washington, Seattle,
> WA 98195, USA, irving at ess.washington.edu, 2Dept. of
> Geology, Northern
> Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ 86011, USA.
>

> Although we recently classified NWA 2828
> as an aubrite [1], our
> examination of new material (now comprising over 120
> stones totaling >27 kg)
> requires revision of that classification. New
> information on the find site
> in Western Sahara indicates that these stones were
> excavated from a
> subsurface deposit, and we have found terrestrial
> rhyolite pebbles and sandy
> matrix attached to several NWA 2828 stones (see
> images at
> http://www.ess.washington.edu/meteoritics). Thus
> this is a rare example of
> a paleo-meteorite or "fossil" meteorite. Some
> stones contain sparse (<5
> vol.%) but very distinct round, radial pyroxene
> chondrules
=== message truncated ===