[meteorite-list] Metal Object Crashes Through New Jersey Home

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 19:28:00 -0600

Hi,

    The "Monmouth object" doesn't look strikingly
like an iron meteorite, but you can't rule it completely
based on looks.
    Thankfully, they provide a scale, so a rough estimate
of volume can be made. The weight is given as 13 ounces,
or about 370 grams. Roughing up the volume on a cylinder
of the diameter and length of the object shown, I get a
density between 7 gm/cm^3 and 8 gm/cm^3, so it's
likely iron.
    Whether it's extraterrestrial iron is another matter...
But we can rule out an old lead sash weight, or a melted
bronze bushing.
    Why do these dodoes always check sky-fallen
objects for radioactivity? When was the last time a
radioactive chunk of sky fell on them? (I assuming
they didn't live in Canada when the Russian Cosmos
reactor came down.)
    If there was a rain of toads, would they check them
for radioactivity? If there was a rain of rain, would they
check it for radioactivity? I wonder when and how the
urban myth of checking meteorites for radioactivity got
started?
    "Call the cops! And tell'em to bring a geiger counter!"

Sterling K. Webb