[meteorite-list] do meteorites fluoresce?

From: Fredmeteorhall at aol.com <Fredmeteorhall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:26:02 EST

Greetings fluorescence fans:
    Some many years ago I tried out my short wave light on the meteorites in
my collection and had the same results as those already reported, nada. The
only meteorite that I can think of that may have some minerals that would have
fluorescence would be the Martian meteorites.
    Fluorescence is caused not only by ultraviolet, but can also be caused by
other radiations such as X rays and even visible light. That said, few
chemically pure minerals will fluoresce at all. It usually takes an impurity in the
mineral to cause fluorescence. The type and amount of the impurity present
will determine the color and intensity of the fluorescence.
Regards, Fred Hall

 AOL now offers free
http://www.aol.com.