[meteorite-list] Peruvian Crater

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:09:46 -0700

My guess is that Mr. Randall is obsessed with getting some recognition and
some "atta boys." To most of us it's a no brainer - if you want to keep
something a secret, don't tell anyone about it.

A while back there was another "crater finder" who claimed he had found
material at the site of his astrobleme. He went on and on ( and on and on)
about the importance of his discovery and all the tests that were being
done outside of the country. In addition, he claimed that there was some
sort of conspiracy by many of the top meteoritic scientists in the USA who
were trying to steal his find and his thunder. Most, if not all of his
rants, were conducted on two separate forums (MeteoriteImpact Forum and the
NuggetShooter Forum.) where he got very disturbed if anyone challenged
him. Those who showed an interest in his outlandish claims were made privy
to more information. If I remember right, he even claimed that the comet
(not a meteor) that caused his astrobleme (which was named in his
honor..;-)) was the same heavenly body that the three wise men followed in
search of the Christ child over 2,000 years ago.

Geeeez.

What intrigues me is that Mr. Randall and the finder of the astrobleme both
sound very intelligent and sincere. They seem very serious about their
endeavors and put a lot of time into trying to convince others that they
are onto something big. What they fail to realize is that there are some
very knowledgeable people reading and listening who aren't going to take
these claims serious without some good, professionally conducted proof.

If I thought I had a discovery as important as these fellows claim to have,
you'd better believe I'd keep my mouth shut...even if I had to stick both
of my feet in it!

Sorry for rambling,

John