[meteorite-list] Fwd: Meteorite in New Hampshire

From: Thetoprok at aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:47:56 EST

Gary, List,

Great effort Gary! You have to go look if you're going to find them. : )

I've lived in lake country here in Michigan for most of my life, grew up
here.The county I'm in has 400+ lakes, not including ponds! I lived on a lake
almost all of my life and and I've been an ice fisherman virtually all that
time. I've noticed these holes as long as I can remember. Perhaps I'm wrong, but
here's my proposed scenario for your meteorite hole suspect.

Pond freezes, small amount of snow accumulates, there's a spot above the
spring that's not freezing as fast and may be open. Muskrats and mink may also
use this as a spot to get air and feed, sometimes keeping a hole open late
into winter. This doesn't appear to be the case though as there was not an
abundance of vegetation on the ice, as would be if muskrats were feeding there.
Anyway, the ice thickens to several inches, it warms up a bit, then snow starts
to melt. This leaves a layer of water on top of the ice. At the same time,
the hole from the spring will grow a little from the snow melt that is flowing
into the pond through the hole. This leaves a spider web like pattern on the
ice. Now, just before the two feet of snow falls, the temperature drops,
creating a layer of ice on the surface of the melted snow water that's on the
already frozen lake surface. Two feet of snow falls and blankets the pond,
insulating the ice from a deeper freeze. You will have a thin layer of ice,
perhaps a few inches, then a layer of liquid water, then another layer of usually
thicker ice, then the pond. The spider web like pattern that was a wet trench,
catches snow that gets slushy, thereby catching more snow, until you
actually have a bump that may look like a splash because it is irregular, follow me?

 VOILA! I've observed this many times.

Cheers,
Larry

A freshwater spring can move around over a period of years, or a new one may
pop and last a while and redirect it's self back to the main one, that's why
she thought the spring was in a different location.

In a message dated 2/23/2007 12:08:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,