[meteorite-list] Larry's Holbrook Holy Grail Find and Bob Haag's Venus Stone

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:32:08 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Ruben,
for the clarification about Larry's find looking like
a "typical Holbrook" in the interior.

My curiosity was piqued when I saw the first images of
Larry's find, because a portion of the surface that
wasn't covered in fusion crust looked like chondrules
that were weathering out of the matrix. None of the
Holbrook L6 that I've seen ever had any chondrules
sticking out of the matrix.

But most of the large Holbrook stones that I've seen
were relatively fresher, having been picked up soon
after the fall. Maybe the rounded features on Larry's
find are the result of weathering. Maybe over time,
what was originally a freshly exposed interior (which
produces a surface that geologist call "hackly") has
weathered into knobby, rounded features.

Here is a more recent image of Larry's find that shows
what I'm talking about:
<http://www.meteoritearticles.com/Holbrook_Larry_02.JPG>

Looking forward to seeing some close-up images of
Larry's find. Sure would like to know what those
round things are.

Bob V.

Message: 11