[meteorite-list] Suspected meteorite. Basaltic rock with a fusion crust. Your opinion please, terrestrial origin?

From: Randall Gregory <randall_gregory_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:33:46 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

  Thank you for your reply and taking the time to look at my photos. I remember Hawaii very well having spent a great deal of time on the Big Island. Most of my in-laws live in Hawaii. Some on the Big Island (Kona area), Honolulu (Mott Smith Dr.) and McCandless Ranch (Keith Unger). I married his sister Jenine Unger.

  Anyway, what I can tell you is that they are not obsidian related due to the total lack of glass. Right now I am in Arequipa, Peru and as you are well aware, is volcanically active (Ubinas) and seismically active (Of which I am occassionally reminded) Trust me, tremblors are not fun. :(

  Obsidian is relatively common and professors at the National University here in Arequipa have examined the stone. Obsidian and desert varnish have been ruled-out. Wind-polished lava is a distinct possibility at this time. My understanding is wind-polishing is a removal process and would tend to smooth out the surface.

  Would it be possible to send you a sample (whole rock and cut slice) when I return to the United States? If so, what are the requirements for a thin section. You will be free to keep both for your collection if you desire as the rocks are quite beautiful and unique.

  Randall

John Lockwood <jplockwood at volcanologist.com> wrote:
  Hi!

        I can't be sure from photos. I have seen wind-abraded obsidian ventifacts in desert environments that look like this, but their compositions would be very fifferent from any possible meteorite. They would also show glass composition in thin section or x-ray. Pretty easy to tell difference in a lab. They well could be meteorites - direct inspection is needed..

Aloha,

Jack