[meteorite-list] www.venusmeteorite.com - what are your opinions on this claim

From: Randall Gregory <randall_gregory_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:47:01 -0800 (PST)

Jason,

  Thank you for responding to my questions. I am also trying to gain a self-meteoriticized education. I was unaware of the attachment rule.

  PS - Attachments aren't supposed to be posted to the list, per list guidelines - you ask people if they want them and then send out privately...
  And if that pic's of a 'Venusian meteorite,' you should head out to Ludlow, CA, because there's a hell of a big area out there covered in beautiful desert-varnished basalt - I mean Venusian meteorites - just like that, with some pieces weighing a good few hundred pounds......downflow from Amboy Crater, a beautiful cindercone

  Unfortunately, I can not head out to Ludlow, CA to see the desert-varnish basalt, but I can assure you that it is not desert varnish.

  Wikipedia definintion of desert varnish
    Originally scientists thought that desert varnish was made from substances drawn out of the rocks it coats. Microscopic and microchemical observations, however, show that a major part of varnish is clay (which could only arrive by wind). Clay, then, acts as a substrate to catch additional substances that chemically react together when the rock reaches high temperatures in the desert sun. Wetting by dew is also important in the process. The varnish is primarily composed of particles of clay along with iron and manganese oxides.
  Another important characteristic of desert varnish is that it has an unusually high concentration of manganese. Manganese is relatively rare in the earth's crust, making up only 0.12% of its weight. In desert varnish, however, manganese is 50 to 60 times more abundant. This significant enrichment is thought to be caused by biochemical processes (many species of bacteria use manganese).

  I've already had basic mineralogical testing on my samples. (Remember, I have been working with the geologists at the National University of Peru). The mineralogical composition of the fusion crust is identical to the composition of the matrix. The analysis of the matrix, whole rock, and a cut/slice of the fusion crust show a very low concentration of Fe and Mn. The actual values are: Fe 4.93%, Mg 1.48%, Mn .23%, and Ni 69 ppm.

  The samples I have and the samples on venusmeteorite.com are not desert varnish. I know what desert varnish looks like. I've spent a great deal of time in the desert and have seen many rocks with desert varnish. With the cooperation of the UNSA geologist, it was ruled-out early in the analysis. Varnish is additive to the underlying matrix.

  One volcanologist said that it may be possible that my samples could be wind-polished basalt. This is a real possibility that I am currently pursuing beside the fact that the samples came from a prehistoric alluvial plain and showed evidence that there was an impact.

  Is it possible that a basaltic rock "bubbled up" and subsequently polished by the wind. Yes, it might be possible. I view it as unlikely due to the extreme hardness of this particular basalt (>8 mohs), but it is a possibility, and I will not rule out ANY possibility. He has requested a sample which I will be sending out when I travel to Lima in the next few weeks.

  The extreme hardness of my samples has been puzzling to myself and the geologists at UNSA. My sample exceeds the natural hardness of basalt. In fact, it exceeds the hardness of quartz, which is considered to be the hardest naturally occurring mineral. Quartz hardness is 8.0, and my samples exceed 8.0 on the Mohs scale. Currently, the only known method of creating basalt harder than quartz is to grind it, apply a special heat treatment at 1300?C where it re-crystallises, giving it extreme Hardness: 8-9 on the Mohs scale. This process is known as cast-basalt. Where you would normally expect basalt to streak on quartz I have a picture showing how quartz streaks on my basaltic sample and I also have a video of the area showing the natural state (baby-powder fine sand) If you're interested, I'll send them off-topic.

  Best Regards,

  Randall

Jason Utas <meteoritekid at gmail.com> wrote:
    Hell, here are a few more of some random ones.
  Jason

  On 2/15/07, Jason Utas <meteoritekid at gmail.com> wrote: Here's a pair of pics of my favorite cratered Sikhote.....
  Jason

    On 2/15/07, Jason Utas <meteoritekid at gmail.com > wrote: Hello Randall,
  With my self-meteoriticized education, I might be able to help with at least a few of your questions...